Friday, February 6, 2009

5 years and an old blue coat.....


February 4 marked 5 years from my Dad's passing. I havent been able to write anything...I thought about it but never did...I read my sisters post about my dad and sat here and cried my eyes out this morning....now I know why I haven't posted anything....I didn't want to go their emotionally.

I love my Dad, I think about him everyday. I realized this morning that I am starting to forget the little things about him that made him my dad.

Oh how he was the best dad ever and I love him with all my heart.

All I asked for when he passed was to have his OLD blue down coat. This coat reminds me of everything about my dad....Him coming home from work in it every day, wearing it while laying on the floor with his head up against the couch watching tv, wearing his jacket because the heater didnt work while driving in the car with him listening to AM radio show begging him to listen to something else for just ONCE , wearing it while making himself toast with peanut butter and jelly caked on it and a big glass of milk....I will never forget how excited he was to always lay down on the floor and eat this while watching tv...so many more memories I have of him in this coat, he always wore it and loved it. I remember going camping with my kids and family in my parents backyard and being cold....he finally let me wear his WARM blue down jacket and I was so excited.....it smelled just like him.


My dad loves me, that I knew. He was a quiet man, except for when he was cooking his "noodles" that never had the same ingredients in them....he would sing loud in some language I could never figure out...I think it was a mix between Italian and French...or maybe he just made it up....but he was happy when he was in the kitchen and whatever he made (never with a recipe) was always delicious.

I miss you Dad....


7 comments:

jessamyn said...

This was a very sweet post and made me cry, I only wish I knew him better. I do that he was a wonderful Father because your family is so amazing. My love to you.

Natalie said...

He was such a good man, and I think I vaguely remember that coat. I think it is so ironic that it has been five years (Dec) since my Dad passed as well. I hope you find happiness in remembering the things about his that make you smile and letting your kids get to know him through your memories.

Unknown said...

Ugh.

I have one of his coats too, and a sweatshirt that I pulled out of the dirty clothes right after he died, so it would have his smell in it. I sealed it up in a ziplock bag to keep his smell in it. How weird is that? I hardly ever open it up so that I don't loose Dad's smell.

Paul was making Dawson's pinewood derby car last night, and the memories pooled in again, because the whole house smelled like pine, sawdust, and wood. That was Dad, he always smelled like wood, I think it was embedded into his skin.

jhoopes said...

What a sweet tribute to your dad. I cannot imagine how hard that is to live so much of your life without someone as important and influential as a dad. Thanks for sharing.

Angi said...

Sarah, Your dad was amazing. In just the little time we knew him we grew to love him. While they were in Wichita visiting John and I Nicole wasn't well. He offered to help John give her a blessing. It was sweet. She remembered it fot a very long time. He was a gentle giant.
Love you

Jodee said...

That was a sweet post Sarah. I can't even imagine how hard it must be each day without him and even harder when dates like this come along every year. However, I am glad you are able to have such fond memories of him too. Take care!

Kyla said...

What a beautiful post. I too miss your dad very much. It made me cry... I too remember him laying on the floor watching TV with his head propped up on the couch. I always wondered why he never used a pillow. I was so glad i went to baby Finn's Blessing because i was able to see your mom. She is a sweetheart and i wish i could see all my relatives more.