Sunday, March 30, 2008

Legacy.....

Ladd and I have felt like our kids needed a wake up call lately....about how blessed they really are! They have been saying "Its not fair" a lot lately about everything and anything that they dont like, etc. When actually their life is SO FAIR!!!

We decided tonight that we would watch "Legacy" for our Sunday night activity to give them some perspective. It was the first time they have seen it and it was wonderful to watch as a family.

I had a lot of insights as I was watching it and realized that it was just as much for me as it was for them.

How blessed I am as a mother and wife to have the things I have to keep a home. To have a roof over our heads...a roof I didnt have to make with my own hands. A heater that kicks on when I tell it to and keeps us warm. Carpet that is soft and comfortable for our feet. Vacuums that clean up for me instead of my own darn hands. A mixer that makes me dough for bread in 10 minutes and I dont have to do anything other than put the ingredients in the bowl. A dishwasher that cleans the dishes without my hands. An oven that turns on by the push of a button instead of cutting up wood and starting a fire, etc. Clean running water that is hot or cold within seconds. A toilet that flushes intantly and I dont have to go outside to use it. A car that turns on with the turn of a key and all I have to do is use my weasly little calf muscle to make it go..AND it has a heater that turns on...even air conditioning in the summer...and the doors even open by themself by a push of a button. My husband doesnt have to go off and fight to protect us because of what we believe. I can peacefully live what I believe and believe in Christ with out the fear that I will be persecuted or my house will burn down.

How blessed I am along with my family!

The list continues on and on....

On top of that, I have gained a greater appreciation and desire to be better. As I watched those pioneer women, how hard they worked and how strong their faith was how they took care of their children...I realized I need to be better...and it isnt in a guilty kind of way...it was with the sweet spirit telling me that I can be better, I can do better, I can work harder, I can raise my children better....teach them the gospel more and in turn I will find greater happiness in being a wife and mother and enjoy my children even more than I already do.

I feel the love of our Savior for me as He gently pushes me to want to be better tonight, to be more like Him. I am grateful for the kindness I have felt as I know that He expects more and has shown me this in a way that encourages me to do better.

So my goal this week is to be better, to do more with my children and just BE with them. To keep a cleaner home, to pray more often and have a kinder voice with my children....

Stay tuned for my report next Sunday.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

thanks so much for your post, very inspiring, your words were very powerful and I too have committed to being more kind, patient, and loving with my children.

jhoopes said...

sweet. Thanks for sharing. So true.

Rachael said...

what great thoughts! it feels so good to be recommitted to all the basics. Thanks for the reminder of what matters most.

Jared and Paige said...

I'm glad you wrote about your thoughts on this. Often when I find myself compaining I think about those amazing pioneer women. Like you, I am in such awe of them.