Thursday, September 24, 2009

Special Shelf

I have had this shelf for about 6 years now and just NOW put it up.....I finally decided to paint it and hang it.

This shelf is very special to me.

My dad made it for me for my birthday about 4 months before he passed away. It was a pure act of love. He was SO sick, frail and fragile. Yet he went out to his shop and made this shelf for me. How sweet and special that was to me. He was so excited to give it to me. It reminds me of him so much...carpentry and furniture was so much of his life.

I remember when I was growing up, I would go out to his shop and just sit and watch him make masterpieces. I would sit there for hours on saturdays...not saying a word...just watching in amazement that he could make such things with his own hands. One time he let me use his nail gun.

I love my dad and so grateful that I have this to remind me of him and who he was everyday.

And I love that pictures of my kids are hanging on this shelf that their Grandpa made!




7 comments:

Angi said...

Sarah, I am so glad you finally got it up. It is beautiful. I know you will love it especially because Grant made it. Miss you so much. Love you tons. Hugs

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kyla said...

How beautiful! Your dad was such an amazing person. What a wonderful daily reminder of him:)

Grandma Sue said...

Sarah- Oh, how beautiful. The pictures of my Grandkids hanging of the hooks are just perfect. All the little "touches" you have put up in the last month or so in your house truly make it a warm and cozy "home" now. Love ya

Williams Family Dirt said...

I love it! What a sweet reminder of your Dad, he was very talented!

Melanie said...

What a sweet reminder of your dad. And what a perfect way to display the pictures of your cute children, his grandchildren.

I hope your family is doing well! I am so glad I finally got into blogging so I can keep tabs on your family!

jhoopes said...

What a beautiful display and even better that the shelf means so much. Sweet.