Thursday, May 28, 2009

I have a problem....

Summer is officially here in Kansas...as of last Friday. We live on a culdesac with about 15 other kids, and they all play together all day long.

Here is my problem....Miles, will play outside All. Day. Long. if I let him. Seriously, I would not see this kid from 9 in the morning till 9 at night. and he would go without eating if I didnt call him in to eat.

We live in a VERY safe neighborhood...but where do I draw the line with him having a FUN, carefree, life is good, summer with friends outside....a summer I think every child should have and a summer with chores and so on. Do I let him play outside all day, do I make him come in and be with his family for part of the day, where do I draw the line....is it bad to just let him play outside all day long???? Do I make him do more chores since he is home more and time allows? Does he need my guidance as his mom and should be home for part of the day? I know I am blabbing. I need help.

Let me know what your "summer" rules are.

What do you all think?

4 comments:

Anna Marie Photography said...

I just make my kids do their chores, and whatever else I need them to do, and then they can go and play all they want. I do bring them in, if I think they have been out too long, sometimes, other than that, I let them be. Do you remember us as kids? We were gone from 9 am to 9 pm all the time, until we heard mom yell at us to come in and eat. Lunch was usually up to us, if we were hungry, we came in, made a sandwich, and went back out. I do make my kids come in to eat lunch though.

elizabeth said...

I think you should let him play all day long in the summer. A childs summer is such a short time of life, but it can be the greatest memories you will make. I remember we did the same thing as children. My sister and I always talk that kids don't do that anymore, I am so happy that's not true!

Natalie said...

Maybe I am weird, but I think kids need at least a little bit of structure. I usually have some down time in the afternoon, when it is the warmest to do some inside activities. We have lunch together, then they can read, or do "extra" chores to earn $, sometimes play a computer game or watch a movie. For me it is about getting them out of the heat and humidity for an hour or so, and because it is when Spencer is napping I can focus on the needs of the older kids during that time without him interrupting. Of course I do nap then myself some days and they have the run of the house=)

Williams Family Dirt said...

I am one for letting kids play all day, but I agree there should be structure and a little down time. Give him a few hours in the morning and require him to check in for lunch and rest, so he can get out of the heat. Then let him back out until dinner. After dinner is family time, in my opinion. That should be reasonable I would think.

I wish I lived in a cul de sac?!?! My boys aren't allowed out front without a parent, due to the speed of traffic on our street and it curves right at our house so they won't be seen until it is too late. We just got our backyard finished this spring, so I am looking forward to sending them to the backyard to play. Because it gets so hot here I don't let them play outside between 1pm and 5pm. Good luck!