
Some of you know I have been saving for a camera....I want to start doing photography (have wanted to do photography for over 5 years now) and think I have the camera picked out that I want. The Canon 40D.....I am getting it as a kit with some basic lens, 18-55mm and the 75-300 mm with a telephoto converter and wideangle converter. But then as I look further into the lens I COULD have I am hesitant to buy this "starter kit". Too many decisions and if I knew that this was all their was, I would be just dandy with this. So what do I do....Do I get this other kit that only has one lens...an awesome lens with image stabilization and just the camera that cost $200 more than the kit with the 4 standard lens and tripods, bag, filters, and a bunch of other extras.
What do I do? Any one with experience/advice?
I figured I could just get the basic kit witht he 4 lens and save up again for a better lens and that I will be so happy with the basic lens because it is so much better than the basic point and shoot camera I have right now.......
So I am just rambling....but I know people look at my blog that are photographers and I WANT your advice...even if you are just a lurker.
3 comments:
Sarah- I am having the same problem. Here is what I'm going to do. The kit is usually a great deal, however the lenses are some of the basic models. But...the IS (Image stablizer) is a GREAT thing to look for in a lens. What I would recommend doing is getting the kit in the package and selling the things you don't need on ebay and put that money that you make off of ebay towards a great versitile lens. But...If you do just find the body on a good deal, get that and then buy the lens you want. I don't think this info helped one bit...did it! I guess all I'm saying is..it's worth it to get the lens you want, however you go about it! Good luck! Where are you getting it from?
I have no idea, but how cool that you want to start doing photography!!
hey lady I used to know as a child :)
I LOVE our Canon 30D. The 40D is supposed to be GREAT, so great choice :)
Lenses.. lenses lenses lenses! The way I decided to look at it, lenses are an investment. You're going to have a very nice camera, you don't want to have crappy lenses to go with them. We decided to get the camera and use the stock lens for a while to learn the camera, etc. We thought after we learned the camera, we'd have a better idea of what lens we would want.
The 75-300 -- is this with IS? is it 2.8? or 4/5.6? If it is 4/5.6 w/out IS then I would pass for now. I would not be afraid of getting a non-canon lens, either - my zoom (sigma 50-150 2.8 -- 2.8!!! is fantastic).
Here is a post I wrote on MY search for a lens, and it's got some links in there that may help you decide.
lens post!
Email me if you want to talk lenses more! I'd love to! (email is on my site)
-amy
Post a Comment